My heart goes out to those effected by Hurricane Sandy. At the last minute, Sandy veered more north than projected and all we got was tropical storm force winds and hard rain. We had some water in the basement, but it was not nearly as bad as it could have been.
Today’s post shows you the sum total of all of my October sewing. (the purple dress was finished in September but not photographed until October). It looks like my work schedule should lighten up, allowing for more sewing.
The first FO is my win. It’s Butterick 5785. I normally don’t choose patterns that haven’t been reviewed on patternreview.com, but I really liked the style and it was on sale. I did my standard Big 4 pattern adjustments, FBA, petite folds above the waist and in between the bust and shoulder seam and a sloping shoulder adjusting. I love it! It’s flattering and comfortable but doesn’t perform the function I had intended. The crossover section is quite narrow, therefore not much overlap. This means that every time I move my arms, the front pops open, meaning I can not wear it to work.
My fail is Jasmine from Colette Patterns. I know this is a favorite of the sewing blogosphere, but it did not work for me. I think my biggest issue with Colette Patterns is the lack of consistency in sizing. Macaroon fit me great with only a FBA. I struggled with several muslins of Roobios before giving up, same with Crepe. I wish I had made a muslin of Jasmine. Based on the measurements, I cut the size 18 and it’s HUGE! At least a size too big. The biggest fit problem is the armscye. The bottom of the armscye is parallel to my bust apex. I have not had that issue with any of the other Colette Patterns I’ve tried. It would be easy to fix on the pattern, but it has made this one unwearable. I feel like I’m swimming in this top.
Trying to make it look good
swimming in this top