I’ve been a bad blogger. I can’t believe it’s been over a month since my last post. First was my trip to London. I had a wonderful but I didn’t take any pictures. I discovered that I left the camera memory card in my desktop. Following that was a severe storm that caused a multi day power outage. Normally, I love to indulge in blaming the power company, but when the winds are powerful enough to snap the poles in half like a twig, it’s not really their fault.
I finished this top right before the London trip. It’s from a 1950’s Simplicity pattern. Unfortunately, all I have is the muslin, not the original, so I can’t find the number. This is the first time I’ve made it since gaining some weight. I was concerned that it wouldn’t look as good on the larger me but I shouldn’t have worried. 1950’s patterns fit me like a glove no matter what I weigh.
This dress is Butterick 5747, which is a current release and early 60’s reprint. I’m not sure how I feel about this one. I think the wide collar is not doing me favors and I shortened the skirt a tad too much. Also, I’m not thrilled with the gaping buttons. The muslin didn’t gape like that, so it might be a factor of using stretch poplin. The pattern has box pleats in front and back and a very oddly placed box pleat at the side seams. I originally planned on eliminating it but changed my mind. I think I like it. It adds some flare to my otherwise slim hips. This one needs to be test driven before I completely make up my mind.