I guess the fact that there are no reviews of this cardi on Ravlery should have warned me off. This is the Shelburne cardigan from Knitting Fashions of the 1940s, by Jane Waller. The initial decision to frog it came when I finished the first sleeve and pinned it all together to try it on. That’s when I discovered that I had forgotten to make note of changing the length of the ribbing. The right front ribbing is several inches longer that the left front and the back. Oops! I went ahead with the pinning and tried it on. YUCK!
Since this books has no diagrams of the finishes pieces, nor finished garment measurements, I took a gamble and made it up in a size smaller than recommended. This book appears to be one of several knitting books that has resized vintage patterns for a “modern fit”. All of the modern models look straight from the 1980s or early 90s, with large, unfitted sweaters. I even used some of the fitting tricks I learned from last year’s knit-along. I narrowed the shoulders, raised the waist, ect. Even with raising the armscye, look how low it is! So, I will be frogging the whole thing.
Please excuse the pony tail and lack of makeup. After nursing my son back to health, he lovingly gave me his Strep throat.
Here’s the original. Isn’t it darling? I’d love to take a look at the original pattern.
Something else that I’ve learned from this project: I think cotton yarn is unsuited for vintage projects. This yarn even has 20% wool blended in. It just doesn’t have the elasticity needed for a tight fit. The ribbing is supposed to be snug, but on my version, it’s not. In fact, the only vintage knitting projects I’ve been happy with the fit have been made with 100% acrylic yarn. I know the yarn snobs out there are cringing, but the owner of my LYS has seen what my hands look like after knitting with wool and declared it a “real allergy”. It’s almost enough to make me give up knitting. I hardly wore any of my handknitted sweaters this winter because they were too warm. Perhaps this is just not the hobby for me.