Ok, so when Colette patterns hit the scene, everyone raved about them. I bought 4 and took my time getting to them. Macaroon was my first and it fit like a dream right out of the envelope. Perhaps this raised my expectations. The second one I tried was Ceylon. No, you haven’t seen the results. I have made 2 muslins of the bodice and I’m still not done. I ran out of steam. While it fit in the shoulders, it was clearly drafted for someone with NO bum. Once I get the dropped waist bodice to fit, I think I have to draft my own back skirt piece. Next up with Crepe. This is the back wrap dress that all the hip sewists are digging. Not me. Again, it fit great in the shoulders and bust, but I had to trim 4in off the length of the back bodice length, which then required reshaping the wrap back. The biggest problem I had was user error. I cut it out about a month before I started sewing it. I clearly didn’t read the instructions. I was supposed to cut out 2 skirt fronts and 4 skirt backs. When I got to the skirt, I had only 2 backs and no leftover fabric. I haven’t decided if there’s anything I can do for it.
The third Colette pattern I’ve made is Roobios. I made a muslin, so it should have been fine, but I think the difference in fabric really affected the fit. The muslin was a stiff cotton while the dress is lined with a slippery rayon. The straps are too wide set and feel like they are falling off and the armscye is low enough to display my bra. Other than that, I think the issues I have with it are design issues, not fit issues. To my eye, the folded down contrast pointy things at the neckline haven’t been graded up for the larger sizes. If you look through the Colette Flickr group, the contrast area looks much larger on the smaller dresses. On my dress, they are so small, they’re almost ridiculous. If I make this again, I’d either eliminate them or make them larger. I also think the skirt shape it odd. It is described as a straight skirt on the pattern envelope, but in reality, it is a slight A-line. And my final complaint is the pockets. They are too low. When I’m standing up, I can’t reach the bottom of the pocket. It looks ok with a cardi, but since it is a linen cotton blend, it won’t be good for winter wear.
At this point, I don’t even want to try Lady Grey. I might be giving up on Colette patterns, except for Macaroon.