Simplicity 1788 was given to me by a Fedora Lounge friend, the lovely and talented AmyJeane. I’m calling this a wearable muslin. The need to have things to wear for MMM take precedence over perfection! The fabric is from my stash and is a menswear shirting. What posessed me to buy 4yrds of menswear shirting?!?! It’s a bit too crisp and I think there’s some polyester in it, it also feels thin but not in a good way. The pattern is pretty easy to sew up, but I made it difficult. The bodice front is construced oddly. The button band is only faked, not functional. Since I don’t like closed up collars, I decided to start the band where the pattern calls for opening (as called for, the band is not attached at the neck and snaps closed). I think it looks ok, but in the future, I’ll just open the bodice down the center front and make the buttons functional. The other difficulty I had was with the cuffs. I really like the big, crazy cuffs on the left, but I think they need to be made of organza or starched really well. My cuffs flopped around and looked stupid. I took them off, made a deep hem and turned up a cuff. On future dresses, I’ll use the puffed sleeve on the right. Other than that, it’s a little too big across the bust and the waist needs to come up about an inch. I also forgot to do a sloping shoulder adjustment. Oh, well, at least I have a new dress.