I was quite bust last week, but my camera battery died, so this post has two items. I finished a third, a flannel nightgown from a 50’s pattern, but it came out HUGE! It was my first time grading a pattern down and I was not successful.
The first item is the completed dress from McCall’s 6566. This had such potential. Based on the measurments of the pattern pieces, I graded up 1.75in on the front and back pieces. Once I tried the bodice on, I realized that I didn’t need to add anything. The same thing happened with the waist length. Based on measuring the pieces, I added 2in to the bodice length. I ended up cutting it off again. I think that really changed the line of this dress. I forgot to redraft the side seam at the waist for the higher seam, so it’s not as fitted as it should have been. Of course, I didn’t realize that until I tried it on for hemming. I’m not sure I’m happy with this dress, but it’s very warm and the print is cute.
The second item is a blouse from a pattern that is T&T (tried and true). The original pattern is sleeveless, but it seems to work well with the added 3/4 sleeve. This blouse looks great with jeans or a pencil skirt, takes 2yrds of fabric and only about 2hrs of work, from cutting to hemming. I have plans to make a couple more of these.