As promised, September is finished and I’m back to vintage projects. I have started on McCall’s 6566. This is my first 60’s pattern and so far, I like it. This pattern seems to have all the features of most modern patterns, which is nice.
I’ve already made a ton of mistakes, but money is a bit tight right now, so I’m not giving up on this fabric. I choose a baby wale cord. First mistake: forgot to account for the nap. Because of that, the back skirt pieces have the nap going opposite of the rest of the dress. At first glance, the print appears to be non-directional, but in fact, all the large apples are pointing the same way. I hope people won’t be staring at my rear end closely enough to notice. The second mistake was that in working around the nap, I cut two right fronts and right backs. I had to trim the waist seam to make it curved on the left side. I hope it doesn’t affect the drape of the skirt. The third mistake told me it was time to leave the workroom for the night. I sewed the pockets to the front, then sewed the skirt front to the bodice front. I completely forgot that I can construct the garment this way (front bodice to front skirt, back bodice to back skirt, then side seams) when there are in-seam pockets. I had to rip it out.